Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Our first break ...

Over the weekend, our girls stayed with grandparents.  It was an opportunity for me to get caught up with household duties, do some creative brainstorming and also watch a couple movies with Airman without any interruptions.  I think every parent needs a weekend to themselves every so often to maintain their sanity.  Plus it is fun for the kids to get out and have fun in a different environment.

Sunday morning when we picked them up we were informed that Little Miss Thing had somehow hurt her knee ... she was wobbling around and unable to stand up bearing weight on her left leg.  At first we thought she was faking (she is known for dramatic faking spells) but soon realized that she was in fact in real pain.  Airman took the other two girls home and I drove Little Miss Thing to the nearest ER.  After four hours of waiting and waiting, two attempts at drawing blood through IV's and a traumatic x-ray experience we were informed that she has a growth plate fracture ... didn't even show up on the x-ray but they assured us it was there.  Awesome ...

She was quickly put into a soft cast splint and we headed home.  I was told that she needed to stay on the couch or in bed for three days ... no walking, no running, no standing, nothing.  Ummm ... ever tried to keep a two and a half year old down for that long?  Much to my surprise she has been very easy and has actually enjoyed her down time.  There have been zero tantrums, 50% less fighting in the house and an overall nice and quiet atmosphere.  My drama child has found her quiet happy place ... inside the confines of a soft cast.  Hmmm ... maybe I should put it up in the closet and save it for one of her long overdue catastrophic tantrums ... smart plan Scarlett!

Aside from carrying around Little Miss Thing and tending to every need, I have actually enjoyed her injury as well.  Don't get me wrong ... I don't want to see her hurt, but since she has been so unusually quiet and peaceful I have had to time to appreciate her other qualities.  We have had a lot of cuddle time which is nice since she is my last baby and she isn't usually very cuddly.  She has been ever so sweet and sincere.  I've had time to pray blessings over her while rocking her in the middle of the day ... I will always look back on this injury and thank God for blessing me with this time to share in her sweetness and enjoy my baby before she gets too big. 

No comments:

Post a Comment